This project created a pair of augmented-reality binoculars with similar optical characteristics to field binoculars. The key activities in this project were:
- We built the unit in such a way that it could be operated in a wide variety of lighting conditions: from inside a dark room to bright sunlight conditions outside.
- Constructed a binocular structure with a hinge mechanism.
- Designed and built an optical system where an SXGA (1280×1024) color OLED in such a way that the images from the OLED overlaid on top of the real-world images. A single OLED provides identical images to both eyes.
- Embedded the electronics alongside the optical path
- Allowed for individual focus adjustment in each eyepiece